ACCA is seeking to hire an independent consultant to develop a 5-year strategic plan for the Coalition. The overall objective of this assignment is to facilitate and support the development of a Strategic Plan
Job type: Consultancy-Short Term
Organisation: African Coalition for Corporate Accountability
Job cluster: Strategic Planning
Contract period: 3-5 Months
Application deadline: 17 June 2022
The African Coalition for Corporate Accountability (ACCA) is a coalition of civil society organizations, with its secretariat based in South Africa at the Center for Human Rights, University of Pretoria. The Coalition’s role in supporting African communities and individuals whose human rights are adversely impacted by business activities on the continent.
ACCA’s vision is a continent where communities’ right to development is fulfilled and their agency to fully participate in the exercise of this right is respected. We envision an Africa where human rights are promoted, protected, and respected by businesses and governments, and victims and affected communities of human rights violations have access to adequate and effective remedies.
ACCA’s mission is to facilitate an alliance that crosses borders and creates a strong and united African network of civil society organisations and communities. The coalition seeks the protection and promotion of human rights in relation to business activity. The ACCA provides a regional platform to share information and knowledge among its members and communities and between ACCA and other coalitions and organisations.
ACCA uses policy advocacy, evidence-based research, capacity-building and technical support to promote community rights, as affected by businesses, at regional and international levels, while also focusing on national domestication and implementation of regional and international mechanisms.
ACCA is seeking to hire an independent consultant to develop a 5-year strategic plan for the Coalition.
The overall objective of this assignment is to facilitate and support the development of a Strategic Plan that will:
- Revisit ACCA’s Vision, Mission, Values and Objectives and realign them to current trends around business and human rights and corporate accountability;
- Set the overall goals, objectives and priorities of the ACCA for the next 5 years and an action plan on how to achieve them;
- Take stock of the ACCA’s journey for the last 7 years, assessing, why the ACCA was formed, what has worked and what has not worked and where the coalition wants to go;
- Map out the various stakeholders in the field of business and human rights and corporate accountability both at regional and international levels;
- Emerging corporate accountability issues and areas where ACCA should focus for great impact;
- Map out funding priorities and develop a clear resource mobilization tool.
The role of the consultant will include:
- Lead and facilitate the process of developing the 5-year strategy plan;
- Conduct interviews with various stakeholders including current ACCA members, networks and coalitions, partners and donors
- Development of a fully costed strategic plan
- Identification of clear organisational arrangement to meet ACCA’s goals, objectives and strategic direction
Scope of Work
The consultant will work with the Secretariat and the Steering Committee to undertake the following responsibilities:
- Lead the ACCA team in the strategic planning process, culminating in a finalized strategic plan document that reflects our mission-aligned aims, objectives, and activities.
- Facilitate the strategic planning process, with engagement from the Secretariat, the Steering Committee and other key stakeholders.
- Review relevant institutional documents and conduct appropriate analysis of past strategic plans, current activities, priority areas, key imperatives, Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities, and Threats (SWOT) analysis etc.
- Facilitate group brainstorming discussions with the Secretariat, Membership and Steering Committee.
- Conduct one on one meetings with donors
- Gather and analyse input from relevant stakeholders
- Produce a finalised strategic plan
We anticipate that the strategic planning process will take place between 25 June and 25 September 2022 with the delivery of the final strategic plan by 15 October 2022
- An inception report with a clear work plan, a timeless budget for the entire strategic planning process;
- A finalised strategic plan that reflects ACCA’s vision, mission, values, position within the business and human rights and corporate accountability movement, objectives, Deliverables programs and thematic focus among others.
- Presentation of the finalized plan to Secretariat and Steering Committee and where possible to the entire General Assembly.
Required skills and experience of external consultants:
- An excellent communicator with demonstrated 5-10 years of experience in conducting similar work
- Extensive experience and knowledge of the workings of NGOs/Civil society organisations, social movements, networks and coalitions.
How to apply
- Cover letter and CV
- Inception report with a clear presentation of how the consultant understands the assignment and their approach to undertaking the entire process;
- Suggested methodology and work plan
- Proposed budget with a clear breakdown of activities and costs
- 3 references
For more information, please contact: